Friday, August 10, 2012

Birthdays, BEDA Day 10

It just so happens to be the birthday of the most important man in my life. Happy Birthday, daddy. I love you so much.

When you think about it, celebrating the birth of someone's life is amazing. Considering that our world's population is growing far too rapidly and diminishing far too slowly, I am still amazed how much joy one birth can bring to this world. Whether it's actually giving the birth, holding your significant other's hand while they push, or being the doctor/midwife/doula that can bring a child in to this world...birth is a wonderful thing.

And not just the birth, but the living. The learning to walk, talk, eat on your own. Then the growing, the running, learning to ride a bike. Then driving, singing with friends in the car, taking roadtrips. And right on up to college, graduation, and making a name for yourself in the world. Maybe your life didn't happen exactly like that. Maybe your life was interrupted with something else. Maybe you felt life pass by too quickly when you watched your mother suffer through colon cancer. Your father with dimensia. But you might have also gotten to see your wife's hair grey, your children grown healthy and happy, and your sister married to someone perfect for her, even if she was 40 years old at the time.

Life is something to be celebrated, remembered, and rejoiced. Life is something that amazes me every day. And while my daddy saw and did all of those things, I am so glad to know that I'll get to see him do much more in the years to come. Happy 60th birthday, daddy. I love you with all my heart, and thank you for giving me so much to look up to, look forward to, and to just look at.

Current song - You'll Be in My Heart - Phil Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment